Let’s face it, insurance isn’t exciting. It’s a necessary purchase and if you never have the occasion to use it, you can count yourself among the lucky ones. Every time you’ve paid your auto and homeowners or renters insurance premiums and have received nothing in return — except peace of mind — you’ve had the good fortune of not experiencing any of the following:
- Rear ending someone while rushing to work, crushing your SUV’s front end while transforming the convertible ahead of you into a subcompact.
- Relocating your family to a hotel while your home goes through an unplanned makeover after an electrical fire.
- Arriving home jet lagged to find your apartment turned upside down with numerous valuables nowhere to be found.
- Being sued by a stranger who tripped on uneven pavement in front of your house, breaking bones in the process.
- Waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, only to find a pipe has burst inside the wall creating water damage far and wide.
- Walking outside after a storm to clean up the tree branches strewn about, including the one propped atop your now cracked windshield.
Of course, this is a very short sample of unfortunate situations that are covered by your policies. So remember, the next time you pay your insurance premiums and think you’re getting nothing in return… that’s a good thing!